Saturday, March 15, 2008

Birds.

. . . and because there are trees, there are birds (or is it the other way around?).

I woke up today to the trilling of birds from trees directly outside my bedroom windows. I did not wake up AND hear them, they were actually responsible for my having been roused from sleep. How vigorous they sounded today, how passionate and insistent. I thought, but of course--birds are the harbingers of summer!

Just the other day, Jun and I had been exchanging texts and e-mails about trees: the trees we grew up with, the trees we lost, and the various childhood memories evoked from our interactions with trees. Jun even wrote an amusing blog entry on Tarzan and Trees here.

And now this concerto.

Listening to the birds’ almost frenzied singing I am reassured that everything is all right with the world. Everything is as it should be. Birds still sing from trees! Thank God for the pleasure of hearing them sing, for the simple pleasure of
being.